Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Back to the Worms?

When I started writing about Emergent Worship last week, I intended to continue the next day, but Katrina pulled me away from it.

I imagine many of you have spent much of your time thinking about the disaster, watching it on TV or becoming involved in helping out with the relief effort.

During the middle of this I started thinking how strange it would be to consider the differences in modern and postmodern worship or any kind of worship.

I mean, who cares?

Does anyone who lost their homes, their families, whatever, care about how I think worship should be?

"Hey, before you pluck me off this roof surrounded by water, do you use Coldplay in your worship gatherings? I'm not leaving until I know for certain."

No. They had been through a hurricane and needed help.

I caught a lot on TV. Didn't once hear, "Infant or adult baptism? Instruments or a cappella?"

Just, "Help!"

(Yes, you can easily say, "I can point you to were the Bible says this or that regarding baptism or anything else, but would you really do that to someone in need? Would you say to the person on the roof, "You knew you should have evacuated. It was very plain. Sorry, until you admit fault I'm not sticking out my hand to lift you up.")

Like I said, I didn't think much on it. I just wanted to help.

And it is not that we can't talk about those things. It is not that I am no longer interested in the conversation. I am.

I just think, what if that was our conversation? I mean, with the same intensity we are asking, "How can I help?"

I'm not simply talking about this disaster.

Think of all those who have a hurricane running right through the middle of their lives. Think of those who are stuck in the attic with the water rising fast around them. Those who are struggling to keep their marriages together, to keep away from a drink, or a hit, or from hitting. Are we sending in everything we have to rescue them?

Does our worship style still seem significant?

Yes, I'm sure I will continue to talk about worship styles. But hopefully, more of my conversations will include how to get others to shelter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andreia Huff said...

Beautifully written! The Spirit moves in this Bart!

11:17 AM, September 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home