Monday, August 22, 2005

Heard Anything Encouraging?

I'm still amazed whenever I drive past Lakewood Church. I mean, the new Lakewood.

I'm from Houston so to me it is still the Summit, forget calling it the Compaq Center. All the events I've been to there are too numerous to mention. Concerts, the circus, you name it. One year we had season tickets to the Rockets.

Now it has been redone to house the largest church in the country. I haven't been there for a worship gathering but I would like to sometime.

This post isn't about bringing down Lakewood or any other megachurches. Just like any type of church there are strengths and weaknesses. I'm not here to talk about that.

What I am thinking of is, why do so many people go there? What are they finding? What makes them go there instead of any other of the thousands of churches in the area?

I am always interested in the different ways people worship God. Obviously they do it on a larger scale. I know many love to hear Joel Osteen. I've read his book and I've caught Lakewood on TV from time to time.

I think what is most appealing is that he is an encourager. He continually reinforces positive thinking. Some may be quick to write him off for this, but who wouldn't want someone like that in their life? I do.

I'm sure Paul did.

Paul had Barnabas. Remember Barnabas(son of encouragement)? I forgot how big a role Barnabas played in the emerging first century church. He probably was a huge encouragement to Paul and those around him. I wonder why we don't hear very many sermons on Barnabas?


-Bart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home