Friday, September 23, 2005

Confessions of a Former News Idiot

I've gotta come clean. I love watching this stuff on TV. There is something about seeing bad weather. I'm a junkie. I watch and I keep thinking...those news folks, what a bunch of idiots!

It also has been giving me flashbacks.

I think about all of those times, standing out in the elements to feed the TV god.

Once I was in Florida, or Alabama, covering a hurricane. The satellite truck was parked against the hotel to block the wind. We were right on the beach. It was still very windy. But, instead of 110mph it was more like 65-70mph. After a few live shots, we were going to break down and go somewhere else. The only problem is the dish would not come down. The wind was too strong for the motor to bring it down. So the only remedy was to climb up on the truck and 'help' it down. It worked.

At the time it seemed like the thing to do. Now I think, what an idiot.

The funniest part of hurricane coverage is when the reporters start yelling during the live shots. They can't hear because the noise is so loud from the wind. They can't hear themselves but they forget their handy-dandy sound enhancing microphone can.

Oh, yeah. Let me address one thing. Yes, some of them do fake it. Not many. But when it looks like they are being blown about and can barely stand up, sometimes they give it a little more, shall I say, emphasis. Reporters and photographers alike. Not everyone. I never faked it. Well, not that I would admit to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home