Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I am blind, please help.

There was a blind man sitting with a sign that read:

"I am blind, please help."

An advertising man was walking by and stopped. He saw that the blind man had only a few coins in his hat. He dropped in more coins and, without asking permission, took the sign and rewrote it. He returned the sign to the blind man and left.

That afternoon the ad man returned and noticed that the blind man's hat was full of bills and coins. The blind man recognized his footsteps and asked if it was he who had rewritten his sign and wanted to know what he had written on it.

The advertising man responded:

Nothing that was not true. I simply rewrote the message a little differently."

He smiled and then went on his way.

The new sign read: "Today is Spring and I cannot see it."

The things you can't see are the most important. They are the ideas.


That is copy from and ad for Academy of Art University

My first response was not, what great marketing or he must work for a large, successful ad firm. Rather, what do I miss? Whom do I miss? In some sense, I can be the one who is blind. Blind to those in need. Those in need, by the way, is everyone. Obviously, there are those with greater needs just like those who don't seem to need as much. But we miss them (needs) all the time in others.

What would your sign say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home