Monday, July 17, 2006

Time To Emerge

I've been thinking of trying out a little experiment. You can do it to. It is rather easy.

The next time you take a trip, go away on vacation, or have a holiday...after you come back, get together with some friends and tell them about it. Except, just before you start to tell them your stories, hand them a piece of paper for them to take notes. Just remember to leave blanks at the appropriate places of your three points. Also, you may want to leave a little bit extra space for any thoughts your listeners come up with on their own. Don't forget to put a date on it, either.

Be clear to repeat you key words at the right time with emphasis. This will add to your story and truly make the listener feel as if they were there with you.

Don't let them interrupt or make any response (head nodding is okay) until the very end. (And only, only after you have requested them to do so.) Something like, "Meet me at the other side of the room and whisper or write down how the words affected you and I'll share them with everyone."

Crazy, huh?

That's what they would think. Hopefully you would, too.

The greatest story, the most incredible adventure ever told is relegated to this every Sunday morning.

How did the point of worship become a 30-45 minute lecture? Why did we buy into this? It is time to emerge!

I know, you might agree but add, how can 1000 people sit around and tell stories? I don't know. Maybe they can't. Maybe bigger isn't the point.

The point I'm trying to make, don't confuse the lecture/sermon as worship.

Jesus didn't list points. If anything, he just answered questions with more questions. Yes, he taught. He made declarative statements. However, it was more of a...well, a conversation.

7 Comments:

Blogger beholdhowfree said...

Bart, this is really a great picture you paint. Somehow we have gotten used to this quirky method. Oh, and I agree...bigger is not the point.

12:47 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger ste-pha-nie said...

Brilliant.

5:13 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Andreia Huff said...

Amen and what Steph said too. Especially when you consider that we pay the storyteller.

10:01 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Andreia Huff said...

Stephanie is too modest to mention her great drawing while sitting through church. It is a must-see and so perfect for this post!Click Here!

10:07 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger ste-pha-nie said...

Andreia! I came back here to add more than just the word Brilliant, thinking how that wasn't much of a "conversation" to just say 'brilliant.' It's just to weird, the coincidence of the drawing I just posted and this post, at this time, because back in March when I took those notes some of these sentiments of Bart's were going through my mind...

10:46 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Bart said...

Well, I've been meaning to get back here sooner today to mention what Andreia already has about Steph's drawing.

My thoughts (post) have been circling around my head for a bit now, but when I saw her drawing, when I saw your drawing Stephanie, it inspired me. Words began flowing like water from a fire hydrant. I kept looking at your picture and thought, here was a spirit looking to hear about God one Sunday and what did she get? Where was the love?

10:55 PM, July 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent. Truly excellent. Oh, and great banner too.

Peace,
Jamie

12:10 AM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home