Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Confession is Good for the Soul

I read recently about the uses of blogs in our Christian walk. One of the suggestions was using the blog as a place for accountability. I have been intrigued by this idea since I read it.

I have always been jealous of the Catholic tradition of confession. One of my recurring jokes (it gets less funny each time I tell it ) is that if I were Catholic, they would undoubtedly set up a toll feeder in order to handle the traffic that I would bring to the confessional. You see, I am a sinner in the biggest kind of way.

No, I haven't committed murder. (yet) I haven't stolen anything since I swiped Pixie Sticks from my Sunday School classroom in the 2nd grade. The spanking must have worked. But I have committed just about every other sin and some of them I manage to commit daily.

You know the little sins. Gossip. Lust. Envy. Coveting my neighbor's new wood floors. Despite the tone, I am serious about my short-comings. I'm just not sure that I would want to fully disclose them here in this forum. It might take a while.

The funny thing about the Christian walk is despite all the talk about community, we fail to hold each other accountable for our actions and our words. I'm not suggesting that it is easy to look to your friend and point out their bad behavior, but could it be helpful?

It is easy to hide behind the plank in my eye argument, never reaching out to others for fear that we would look self-righteous and pompous. But are there times when we should poke in and say something?

I used to have a friend that did this for me. One time she told me that I was a terrible friend because I only called her when I wanted something. I was hurt at the accusation. I did not talk to her for weeks. I wished terrible things on her like a rash of shingles and a sudden case of alopecia. (see, I AM a sinner) But later, I was able to see through the comment to the truth. She had spoke to me in love and in truth. She was right and I am a better person for it.

If you agree that we are called to this more intimate relationship as siblings in Christ, then how can we use this great forum to advance the idea? We could set up a Name Your Sin Blog. If you must name it to claim it then is that one way to actively "work" at this whole Christian thing?

No answers here. Just questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home