Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Hallelujah

I was thinking about the Psalms and started looking over them. At the beginning of many of the Psalms there are liner notes. They talk about things like who the Psalm is attributed to or what tune it is to be sung with or what instrument accompanies, etc.

Then it hit me, David loved music. I mean, I knew that, but then I understood it. He was a musician. He loved to jam. I then pictured David sitting around working out a tune on his harp while other musicians sat with him. Maybe Asaph or Korah's boys where there and they just jammed. How cool would that have been to listen in on those sessions?

I think we are quick to forget that the book of Psalms is incomplete to us. We don't know the tune. Yeah, we have the important stuff, but I think the music is right up there with it. It completes it. Yin-Yang.

Read these next words and try not to 'hear' the tune in your head...

Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. And many more!

I'm sure that will be stuck in you head now. Sorry.

The point is that music adds another dimension, another level of emotion. It is also easier to remember words when you know the tune.

Hallelujah is a tune written by Leonard Cohen and has been covered by several folks. Most recently K.D. Lang recorded it. This version is sung by Jeff Buckley. The words talk about David but slip to a Samson reference. I don't have a problem with it but some who listen to it do. Besides the obvious references to David, I thought, 'yeah...his life was a hallelujah.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home