Saturday, June 03, 2006

An introduction and a few thoughts on last night

Hi ... I've met a few of you already. I'm Wendy Bailey and I work on the judicatory level of the Presbyterian Church USA. I am responsible for Evangelism, Congregational Transformation and New Church Development throughout southeast Texas. I have been ordained since 1987 and I've served churches in Baytown, Michigan, and Ohio. In addition to that, I have been involved in an emergent church plant in the Baytown area, Faith Harbour, which has had a difficult but very interesting few years. My best memory from Faith Harbour was when they baptized two young adults in our pool, as we watched and prayed from the patio and the hot tub. (BTW that's also a prelude to an invitation sometime for an afternoon or evening around the pool.)

What else to say about me? Well, I'm married to Dwayne, and mother of Katie who is a recent HS graduate. You can read more about me on my website and blog.

I really enjoyed our time together last night. I love hearing Brian's stories of the Holy Spirit at work all over the world. I find it interesting that groups of like minded people are finding each other simultaneously in many different circles. That definitely says that God is up to something good.

There are a couple of things Brian said that made me really stop to think ... and that I'd like to keep discussing ...

1) Because I am so involved in transformational ministry the quote "new churches innovate and established churches immitate" has left me thinking. What do you all think about that? Is it true in your experience? If so, what kinds of things could a judicatory like mine do to help both the innovation and the immitation?

2) The other thing that touched me, personally, was the call for more progressive Christians to speak out on the justice issues facing us and our nation and world. Yes! I agree wholeheartedly. I have already taken a few bullets because of my unpopular opinions which are fully grounded in both Christ and the scripture as I understand it. It can be both risky and terrifying to speak up ... even when it's just among friends or at work ... let alone to take a public stand. But I agree that we have to encourage other Christian voices to be heard. Any ideas of how we might help that happen at least in the greater Houston area?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nate Custer said...

Wendy,

I think I will have a chance to interact with your questions more after this weekend is over. Right now I just wanted to say I am glad you are posting here and hope this blog becomes a good source for continued discussion ...

Nate

11:53 PM, June 03, 2006  
Blogger nelda sue said...

Wendy, I have seen large churches and average size churches do exactly as Brian mentioned. Innovation and programs seem to be the focus...the way we do things and programs being "modeled" in hopes that they are "effective" somewhere else. I have learned, the hard way, how in important the uniqueness of the people and culture are to what you "DO". I would say that of the greatest importance is not what you set out to do (knowing of course our goal is to model Christ) but how well you know who you are serving. I believe that takes alot more than just surveys...however helpful data may be it should not define all of what a body sets out to do...nor should what is "working" for other churches lest imitation be our only goal...
ahhhh the great debate!

10:15 AM, June 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home