Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Supernatural

I'm spending the summer in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I made an extended camping trip on the way to Santa Fe and also visited Sedona, Arizona.

Both Sedona and Santa Fe are meccas for a whole crowd of alternative types. Crystal readers, psychics, and many expressions of the occult are so present in these towns. In Sedona, people believe that the mountains are aligned with certain powers which align into several vortexes that hold healing and supernatual properties.

I met a woman yesterday here in Santa Fe yesterday who wore a black crystal around her neck. I'm new to this whole phenomenon, so I asked her what it was all about. She told me how crystals have changed her life and affect so many aspects of her health and well-being. I listened really carefully, hoping to seek a better understanding of this thing that has captured the minds of so many.

A friend of mine in Houston recently had her first experience with Theophostic Prayer. She was raised with a background of New Age and recently came to know Christ. Her first reaction to Theophostic was, "It was like New Age, only with Jesus thrown in." I responded, "Maybe New Age is like Christianity, only without Jesus."

I'm coming to realize that the Spirit is present in so many things. So many people seek to understand God through "supernatural" means like New Age, psychics, crystals, Zen, acupunture, or whatever. In truth, they are seeking what the Church has been lacking for decades: a sense of mystery, wonder, and spiritual power. We believe that God is all-powerful; we know that God works miracles; we even believe in a Holy SPIRIT. However, we seem to have lost the supernatural truths given to us through our Father.

---------------
This is the first time I've posted here, so I thought I would just say "hello!" and introduce myself. I've lived in Houston for 4 years and I work primarily as a musician. I also work for Emmaus Ministries, an organization dedicated to helping men involved in prostitution. And here is My Blog.

8 Comments:

Blogger gmw said...

Interesting experiences, thanks for sharing them. To piggyback on what you've said here... Philip Jenkins' book, The Next Christendom discusses the future of global Christianity. Jenkins identifies the rise of the "global south," that is, the Church in the southern hemisphere. The church there is primarily either Catholic or pentacostal, and Jenkins sees these growing significantly. The fascinating thing to me is that these two traditions very much appreciate and embrace the wonder, mystery, and supernatural power of God, though the manifestations of their recognition and appreciation is very different. It's us, the modern protestant West, that don't know what to do with God on these subjects. It seems to me that our hope is seeking to learn from those whom we would be reluctant to fully embrace as our teachers: 1) members of the Church Universal in the global south, and 2) ancient Christians.

6:48 PM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger Andreia Huff said...

Ah the City Different! How I miss it there. I lived in Albuquerque for many years and the treks I made to SF and northern NM are some of my favorite times. The beauty of the place is so God-affirming. Enjoy!
I suspect that this phenomenon of embracing the supernatural is part of the attraction of Mormonism as well?

7:29 AM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger beholdhowfree said...

Yes, Mormonism is also quite present here, but I'm not sure the attraction is based on the supernatural. However, I can see how Mormonism's claims to be the "true church" could appealing to those looking to find themselves (as it were) in the Southwest.
Also, to dovetail what Guy said, I think it makes perfect sense that the Westtern world is reluctant to embrace the supernatural because we are the birthplace of modern science. Therefore it is in our blood to only trust empirical evidence. However, as quantum mechanics has developed, we are finding all sorts of new twists to this way of thinking, perhaps the most significant being the development of post-modern thought! Our world is changing!

3:16 PM, June 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm. Santa Fe, Taos, and all those amazing places in that area! The first time I was there was on a trip to Durango Colorado, via I-40, Santa Fe, etc... I honestly don't know what it is about that part of the country, but it certainly earns its name, The Land of Enchantment. I feel myself strangely drawn there, and plan to return.

For me, it is more about a closeness to, a respect for, and harmony with nature. In a place like New Mexico, arid, high, and not a place to waste your resources (water, tillable land) this closeness seems to have so much more importance... especially for the ancients, but even for modern inhabitants. As far as the spiritual aspect... I think we have a much higher awareness of the reality of the "spiritual" when we are out in the wild, nature, under the stars, without much protection from four walls and air-conditioning.

12:26 PM, July 01, 2006  
Blogger Bart said...

"The more you know the less you feel...Blessings are not just for the ones who kneelā€¦ luckily"

-Bono from City of Blinding Lights

7:13 PM, July 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is good, Bart :)

Here's another.

"having the fewest wants, I am nearest to the god[s]"
-Socrates

9:21 AM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Bart said...

I like that quote.

I can only pretend to know what that is like.

1:34 PM, July 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sympathize with the ever changing needs of our culture and the ability hear God speak. Emergent is onto something, it still is not clear exactly how its formation will provide not only a place of expression of the wonder, mystery, and power (worship), but how this conversation will finally land on the meaning and use of Scripture. Universalism has been thrown around in many circles, so has doctrine, and praxis; the Master was unequivocal about our relationship to Him evidenced by our love for one another, but I also hear Him and the Apostles never equivocating about the truth.

7:40 PM, July 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home