Monday, October 30, 2006

Communion

I am a part of a new worship gathering called Communion. It is part worship/bible class, part mixer, and part AA meeting. Well, instead of AA it is more like SA.Sinners Anonymous.

Calling it Communion is really an attempt to steal back that word. I say steal back, because many associate communion only with the Lords Supper. But, communion is more than that.

Now, dont hear me saying the Lords Supper is not a big deal or a second rate part of our spiritual life.

Ideally, communion is the Lords Supper and it is our gathering together and sharing each others burdens, being in each others lives, connecting with each other and God and on and on. Communion is about give and take.

Rethinking communion has also caused me to rethink the Lords Supper.

Growing up, my tribe took the Lords Supper every week. The Bible verses read before the bread and cup were either from the Last Supper Jesus had with the apostles or from Pauls writings in Corinthians. Thats fine. There is good stuff there. The only thing beyond those two that was read dealt with Jesus on the cross. The focus was on His anguish and pain.

Im not trying to diminish any of that. It still amazes me what Jesus went through. But sometime I would love to hear about when they went to the tomb and it was empty. When the angel of the Lord said, He is risen! But, I guess that is just for Easter.

Or, read something like Acts 2:44-45.

All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.

I mean, if you can read that and it is true, then you know you are really taking Communion.

I dont like to explain too much of my videos. I like to let each one get whatever they might from it. I do want to point out a couple of things.

Koinonia is a Greek word meaning fellowship or participate.

The picture of the earth is meant to remind us that communion is not just with those in your church, your denomination, but all around the world.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago, I was studying AA's 12 Step process and other materials. I was stunned, as it read like a church planting manual. Great post.

Peace,
Jamie

2:47 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger beholdhowfree said...

You know, the first time I attended NA and AA meetings, the thought occured to me: this is what all Christians need to do. We need to acknowledge every day that we are sinners. And many alcoholics go to AA every day or more than once a day. And we think that going to church once a week is enough to remind us about our propensity to sin...

10:20 PM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Bart said...

...I know.

One of the things we do in Communion is to take turns introducing ourselves and, if the person is comfortable doing so, make that AA type of confession.

Like this...Hi I'm Bart. I'm a sinner, saved by God's grace.

Anybody can say whatever they want after the sinner part.

It is amazing how this Spirit of humility that enters the gathering. It really is neat.

11:37 PM, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home