Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Nehemiah's Prayer


Most of us are familiar with the Lord's prayer. You know, where Jesus tells the crowd how to pray. But what about Nehemiah's prayer. Can you quote that one?


It is pretty good. It had a purpose and was meant for a particular time and place, but imagine someone standing up one Sunday and saying some of it or try it yourself.



O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands, let your ear be attentive an your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father's house, have committed against you. We have acted very wickedly toward you.

It goes on. It really is something. The book of Nehemiah is something. It is inspiring. Is is about renewal and recommitment and hope and joy.

It is also a book about curses. Nehemiah, who prayed that amazing prayer, was a product of the Law.

I rebuked them and called curses down on them. I beat some of the men and pulled out their hair.


That seems a bit harsh. Especially after his prayer. Nehemiah was a man of the Law, and there wasn't much grace under the Law.

I love Nehemiah's prayer. I love the story of renewal. But I am thankful for grace and the example Jesus showed us in his prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home