Monday, July 03, 2006

Do You Believe in Ghosts?


I think I was born in a church. My parents tell me it was a hospital in downtown Houston, but I think otherwise. I say this because of the frequency that I was in a church building during my childhood.

I'm talking at least three times a week. Throw in pot-lucks, gospel meetings, VBS, and youth meetings and the church building was my home away from home. I'm grateful for this, don't misunderstand me.

My tradition isn't very charismatic to begin with, so it all became a familiar ritual early on.

I remember as a kid the arguments when the NIV was introduced. The King James was still "king" around these parts. The language appealed to me in a Shakespearian sort of way (even to this day I say, "verily, verily"), but I liked knowing what I was reading so I preferred the NIV.

What I miss is how I thought of the Holy Spirit. He was renamed, or better translated, in the NIV. The King James is different. Remember the Holy Ghost? Finally, some mystery to something that had become so concrete.

Every bible school teacher I had could tell me how to prove the existence of God and show the Bible verses to back it up. It was a formula for faith. It all fit. But the Holy Ghost didn't really fit. It was exciting when this unknown "thing" would make an appearance in all that is known. I would hear from the pastor, "God, blah, blah, blah and the Holy Ghost."

I would perk up. What? Ghost? What is this Ghost all about?

What was even more amazing to me was when I found out this Ghost got Mary pregnant!

No one had much of an answer for me. I should say, no one would really try to answer it for me. They didn't know either. I wanted to know. I love ghost stories!

I've been thinking what Daniel wrote about the Supernatural and I thought of the Holy Ghost again. I wondered once more, what is this Ghost all about and what has he been doing all this time? Have I lost the mystery, the supernatural of this Ghost, this Spirit?

Would I believe in God if I didn't have a Bible? Would I believe if I never heard all those stories? Would you?

We probably don't hear, "In the the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Bible." but it has become our mantra.

Has the Holy Bible replaced the Holy Spirit in your life. My answer would mostly be yes. I mean, if you want to know God's will, don't you just look it up in the answer book, uhh, Bible?

I know it seems hard to imagine? You think, every thing you know about God is because you've read or heard about it in the Bible.

But is that true?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great food for thought. Thanks!

7:42 PM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger beholdhowfree said...

A priest friend of mine says that we have historically reduced the Holy Spirit (Ghost) into whatever way we experience it (him? her?).

You touched on the one that most Evangelicals use: Father, Son and Holy Bible. But there's also:
Father, Son, and Holy Community
Father, Son, and Holy Communion/Sacraments
Father, Son, and Holy Church/Pastor/Leadership
Father, Son, and Holy GIFTS of the Spirit

Only when we are able to embrace all these manifestations of the Holy Spirit do we begin to understand how it (he? she?) works.

8:11 PM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Bart said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:05 PM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Bart said...

You are so right. It is all of those things and more!

Maybe we should stop using the idea of the Holy Trinty and start using the Holy Infinity!

11:07 PM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Spud said...

Just a thought, but 'civilised' society suggests what can and cannot be possible because of 'their' understanding of the universe and physics.
We should all think outside the box and "feel" what we believe.

We didn't know UV rays or Infrared existed before a machine was designed to 'see' them, so what's to say other elements don't exist, we just can't see them yet??

3:29 PM, July 04, 2006  
Blogger Bart said...

Spud - I know. I think about that a lot. I wonder, how much is out there that we don't know about?

MCS - Thanks for sharing that. There are so many times I wish I knew Greek or Hebrew and I appreciate those that do.

It opens up so many thoughts, thinking of it as breath or wind.

6:22 PM, July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home