Sunday, August 28, 2005

Blink. Again.

If you haven't read the previous post (If you Blink...) yet, go there first.

Jeff got the answer. It was the mom. Did that come right away? Did you know immediately? What about everyone else?

I hate to say it, but it took me a bit to get it. I know plenty of women who are doctors. Women have been doctors for a long time. It isn't anything new. So why did I or anyone else who struggled with this, not think of it as soon as we read it? Are we prejudiced? Do we not think of women having the ability to be doctors? Our reason should say no, we just...well, what happened?

The example came from the book Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell. He is the same guy who wrote The Tipping Point.

Click over for a review on Blink, which is a great book, but let us continue on.

It is not enough to simply think good thoughts about people. I would be surprised if anyone said, "Well, a woman can't be a doctor!" If you did say that we would probably take you to a doctor!

No, we weren't negative, we(I) just didn't give it consideration. I didn't consider the possibility. I managed to ignore half of the human race. (I'm not proud of that statement.)

So, the question then becomes, who else have we done that to? Who else will we do that to?

Again, it is not so much that we are thinking of ourselves, it is just, we are not thinking of others.

It convicts me because this is a large group. It should be an easy one.

How much more do I ignore those on the fringe? I need to take this verse and carry it around with me and not just read it and think, oh, that's a great verse, but do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home